[WikiEN-l] CZ fork: Tendrl

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 16:21:11 UTC 2010

Oops! "arbitrators have led" should of course read "administrators have led."

Sadly this hasn't been a cost-free change, though I think it was
unavoidable. Adminship was originally seen as a mop-and-bucket
function, but that idea has collapsed in the face of the actual
requirement to have neutral adjudication and enforcement that scales.

So admins who are willing to enforce are the most powerful and most
controversial editors, and the community is torn on who gets to wield
that power. There is also persistent though not unanimous demand for
community desysop.

But the pressure on working sysops, it seems to me, has not increased
because of that. The Committee has done much to improve admin
protocols and empower active admins, and that has tended to defuse
once-dangerous situations. An admin in 2010 knows much more about what
is expected of him. A score or so of arbitration cases have settled
that.