[WikiEN-l] CZ fork: Tendrl

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 15:57:09 UTC 2010

The challenge facing us in 2006 was improving what was in those days
sometimes rather dire but promising content at the same time as we
held the basic shape of the thing together.  We had seen a population
explosion in which our registered userbase had suddenly doubled.

It was during that turbulent era that our science content matured as
never before. People who had stood at the sidelines stepped forward
and the quality of the resulting content began to attract serious
attention. We've also taken effective steps to improve a significant
point of weakness: coverage of living people.

I didn't foresee any of that. What I did foresee was the way the
community would evolve. As Charles says, the Committee has begun to
act more like Jimmy Wales. The arbitrators have led in dealing with
behavioral problems and we have developed community processes that
would have been impossible  to contemplate publicly just five years
ago.

The upshot: we've retained and improved our community in the face of
serious challenges.