[WikiEN-l] Webypedia - another doomed alternative to Wikipedia

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 11:12:02 UTC 2010

It's not clear there's room for another general encyclopedia on the
web. What they're describing Webypedia as sounds a bit like Knol,
which was more like an unmoderated about.com than a Wikipedia
competitor per se. (The notion that it was a Wikipedia competitor was
entirely media-originated as they desperately cast about for something
to say about it, and not from anything Google or Wikipedia said at any
time.)

That said, there's already a Citizendium fork in progress, Argopedia
http://www.argopaedia.org/ - though they appear not to understand CC
licensing.

Wikipedia needs competitors. The trouble is working out how one could be viable.

Is Webypedia content going to be under a proper free license? That's
the important question. If it is, I think we should be actively
offering encouragement.

- d.