[WikiEN-l] Webypedia - another doomed alternative to Wikipedia

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 27 09:32:02 UTC 2010

You have to find the right approach to maintain a civil atmosphere.
Some approaches suggested for improving civility cause more problems
than they solve. Trying out different approaches and seeing which
approaches work best in different situations might help. Ultimately,
though, incivility is something that arises from a community of people
interacting. One thing that might be worth considering is whether
having those responsible for maintaining civility being outside of the
community would help (paid moderators, though it might not scale).

Thoughtful deletion when properly explained can bring new users in on
a steep learning curve who have then been started off with the right
perspective. It is when initial and misplaced enthusiasm for
Wikipedia, often based on a misunderstanding or only viewing a small
part of the site, meets aggressive "defend the wiki" attitudes, that
the driving away you describe occurs.

Carcharoth