[WikiEN-l] FBI vs. Wikipedia

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 12:32:57 UTC 2010

A few differences on currency (and some other items).

Making "copies" of currency is often explicitly a crime. So there is a legal
obligation to be clear that what is presented is not "currency" regardless
of whether it would help criminals or not. This doesn't appear to be the
case for most logos and documents.

Also unlike the FBI badge, currency is common (uniquitous) and may well be
scrutinized; the details on an FBI logo are coarse and little known,
unlikely to be checked whereas the details on a print of currency are likely
to be checked. Most people can obtain good quality scans with minimal effort
but the kinds of professional and very high resolution digital versions
needed to produce non-crude forgeries may not be so easy to create.

I think if I were drawing a line for Wikimedia I'd have it somewhere like
this:

"There is rarely a need to show the detail of anti-copying shading, or if
there is, there is rarely a need to show the entirety of it for a whole
document. Currency and other official documents that have fine scale
anti-copying devices (currency, passport pages and laminate, etc) may be
held in detail on Wikimedia, but the anti-copying shades and effects should
either not be entirely shown, or if entirely shown then they should not be
shown in excess of ___ dpi."

 FT2