[WikiEN-l] FBI vs. Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Aug 8 10:55:47 UTC 2010

Carcharoth wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8 August 2010 01:29, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There are some 11 posts to that thread, none of which seem to actually
>>> say anything substantive. I would have thought that a serious debate
>>> would have been better than having "fun" over this clash with an
>>> authority figure organisation. The FBI may have been wrong this time,
>>> but that doesn't mean they won't try again with another argument, and
>>> it doesn't mean that some of the concerns raised shouldn't be
>>> considered in this or other contexts.
>>>
>> You were expecting something substantive from foundation-l?
>>
>> If the FBI try something else, we'll deal with it then. We can't do
>> anything about it without knowing what they'll try, and it doesn't
>> seem wise to speculate about what they could try on the public list -
>> we might give them ideas! I considered the concerns raised and
>> rejected them. If you think there is actually something worth
>> discussing, please speak up.
>>
> I thought the bit about high-resolution imagery possibly being
> problematic was a reasonable point. Most other organisations would
> agree to use a low-resolution version, but that can be a difficult or
> impossible approach for Commons to take for various reasons.
There is an important point in what Thomas said.  When one is talking
about the potential legal argument, however remote, it is wise to avoid
speculating what might be the basis for an opponent's argument.
High/low resolution is an arguable point, but why make it for the other
side.

A lot of people who have never seen the inside of a courtroom tend to
interpret a statutory provision in the worst possible light, then apply
that unfortunate interpretations to their own detriment, and even look
for ways to apply it against themselves.  By doing that they don't give
themselves a leg to stand on if it ever comes to a court fight; the
other, more experienced opponent is less likely to do that.

I don't think that the FBI has a valid point in this matter of the logo,
so let's not try to convince ourselves that they do.

Ray