[WikiEN-l] Destructionism

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 16:11:40 UTC 2010

I question the real-wiki nature of this concept.

If the article quality on the whole genuinely has gone down, then
there's always the revert button. Sometimes reverting part or all of
an article back months or years is perfectly justified. Point of fact
I've done it.

More usually, it's arguable, and If it's arguable, then it probably
hasn't gone down in aggregate much or at all, it's better in some
ways, worse in others; and that's a very different thing.

On 07/08/2010, William Beutler <williambeutler at gmail.com> wrote:
> But Eventualism implies that articles will get better over time, that the
> article's value over the long term matters more than its value in the short
> term. I think Destructionism raises the point that article quality goes in
> both directions, which is a point worth making whatever it's called.
>
> And to those asking for an example, not to be glib, but here's a place to
> start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Delisted_good_articles
>

> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Carcharoth
> <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 3:13 AM, William Beutler
>> <williambeutler at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > As little as I wish to speak for him, nor do I wish to summarize David,
>> but
>> > I think he's talking about a different thing, not about FAs, but how
>> quality
>> > articles evolve over time, especially as major facts (or received
>> > wisdom)
>> > changes. In that case, I default to the status quo on en-wp, which I
>> think
>> > is better than not, as I'm sure most of us do.
>>
>> Maybe "Constructionism" as an opposite to "Destructionism"?
>>
>> I think another term used is "eventualism".
>>
>> Carcharoth

-Ian Woollard