[WikiEN-l] Cuil launches CPedia.com, the robotically generated "encyclopedia".

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 22:05:35 UTC 2010

geni wrote:
> On 12 April 2010 01:31, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Remember Cuil, the worst search engine of last decade? This is what
>> they've done with the left over hardware: an automated encyclopedia.
>>
>> http://www.cpedia.com/
>>
>> It's like Wikipedia read by Mark V. Shaney.
>>

>> - d.
>>

> Well in theory an automated system that created articles on order
> would be a reasonable replacement for wikipedia. Unfortunately 1)This
> won't be possible until we crack the natural language processing
> problem and 2) even with existing technology Cuil's attempt is just
> horrifically bad.
>
> For If whatever is left of the powerset team at microsoft tried
> something similar I would expect results to be better if still fairly
> useless.

Agreed. Given that powerset seems to be out of
the game indefinitely, the current target to beat
is likely Wolfram|Alpha, and clearly cpedia -- or
whatever it is officially called -- doesn't come
within the proverbial country mile of being even
a contender, at least so far.

Someday something will come down the pike, it
is only a matter of time. And when it does, we
really will have "A Logic Called Joe" (or  "Mike"
if you prefer Heinlein), but I for one won't be
holding my breath.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen