[WikiEN-l] PR consultants: perhaps Wikipedia is not the ideal promotional medium

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Fri Apr 2 18:18:47 UTC 2010

That's right. It isn't that we don't want an article and a skilled PR
editor ought to be able to write an article the average editor could not
tell was written by a PR person. The clue to bad work is lifting stuff
from the company's website. And, of course, the complete absence of any
negative information, however notorious.

Fred

> A PR agent should be able to learn how to write a neutral article, if
> they see one aspect of their role as to provide information about
> their client, not necessarily to directly promote them. In the fields
> I work in, I have frequently worked with PR staff, and about half of
> them have proved open to learning a new medium.  (The basic
> instruction I give them is to write a dull an article as possible,
> remove all possible adjectives, use the minimum number of words, give
> the name of the company only once, list nobody but the successive
> CEOs, provide specific sourced numbers about market share,  and give
> no contact information beyond the principal web site.) And when I see
> a promotional article for a notable company, if I have the time i
> neither delete nor blank it, but rewrite it according to my just those
> instructions.
>
> And if we had a systematic campaign to provide basic information about
> all companies that meet our notabiliity requirements, the way we do
> for populated places, it would greatly diminish the tendency for
> people to think they needed to write their own article.
>
> David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DGG
>

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 5:34 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This article makes my week.
>>
>> I generally feel we should blank articles more and delete them less,
>> but this is an area where the explicit rebuff of deletion has its
>> advantages.
>>
>> SJ
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Durova <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Excellent piece.  Especially the close about how it's a difficult
>>> position
>>> for PR professionals to report to the client that the article was