[WikiEN-l] FlaggedRevs test wiki needs you!

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 01:23:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Brion Vibber <brion at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I’ve added a couple quick notes to this affect on the main page:
> http://flaggedrevs.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Ah, I didn't know about this. Having a quick look now. Comments:

- It looks like the UI could do with a bit of work - it took a fair
bit of poking around to work out what status a page was in.
- Language should be stabilised. I see the terms "reviewed",
"sighted", "draft", "stable version", "stable page", "sighted
page"...but not "flagged revision". We should use as few terms as
possible and use them consistently.
- Clicking the +/- shows some escaped HTML code (&lt;revreview-status&qt;)
- For that matter "+/-" seems much less obvious to me than a simple "+"
- A red padlock, an eyeball, the term "sighted page", and the word
"view draft". Whoa. Too much. Way too much.
- There's a "draft" tab and an "edit draft" tab.
- On the NYC article, I created vandalism but it was "automatically
sighted". Clicking the "automatically sighted" text just took me back
to the article.
- (Heh, that was confusing, I placed a request for admin, and it got
approved, all within a minute or two...totally changing my experience
of the system)
- The admin interface is awkward too, especially having to go through
protect and that "flagged revisions can also be [[configured]]" bit...
- Having the tabs at the top change depending on the status of the
page is confusing. Sometimes you have "page" and "edit". Sometimes you
have "stable page", "draft" and "edit draft". Maybe tabs aren't the
way to go here.

My overall impressions are that this adds a LOT of complexity. The
mental model needed to work in this area is counterintuitive and just
damn complex. I find the icons in the top right confusing more than
anything.

Before: You have a page, some previous versions, and a talk page.
After: You have lots of versions of a page. There may be a stable
page, a sighted page, a reviewed page. Or not. You might be looking at
a draft (in which case the stable version is older), or you might be
looking at a stable version (vice versa).

So, please let's not inflict this on en without making a few decent
improvements to the user experience.

Steve