[WikiEN-l] Notability and ski resorts (was: Newbie and not-so-newbie biting)

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 24 11:33:18 UTC 2009

Carcharoth wrote:
>> Back in the early days of the odious origins of the jargon word
>> "notability", back when it was a buzzword on VFD meaning "I haven't
>> heard of it," people would raise this as one of the spurious arguments
>> that made no sense on a moment's reflection. Like the one that too
>> much text would overload the servers, so the okemon articls had to go.
>>
>> Please don't say this stuff without at least a moment's thought on
>> whether it actually makes any sense.
>>

> I do try. Hint: this was about summary style spin-off articles, and
> where the line is drawn there. Not about notability in general.
> Replace references to notability above with WP:SUMMARY, and it might
> calm you down.

I was going to disagree with your comment, too, though not quite on the
same grounds as David Gerard. There can "aesthetic" grounds for
objecting to global imbalances of coverage; but they really have no
status. Disproportionate coverage can be a problem under NPOV. Otherwise
I think it shades off into being a writing issue: where we favour
concision as better for the reader.

Charles