[WikiEN-l] Notability and ski resorts (was: Newbie and not-so-newbie biting)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 07:57:48 UTC 2009

2009/9/24 Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>:

> He said sections, not articles. WP:UNDUE applies within articles.
> Whether a version of WP:UNDUE should apply across the whole
> encyclopedia is essentially the question of notability repackaged. And
> when you spin sections out of existing articles to form new articles,
> then WP:UNDUE clashes with WP:NOTABILITY (expand a section - you may
> be unbalancing the article; spin off section to form a new article -
> you may be unbalancing the encyclopedia).

That's a view of the project that comes from an immature understanding
of it. Unbalancing an article is all visible on the same page;
however, three million Simpsons articles is *invisible* to the readers
of articles on particle physics unless they specifically go looking
for them. It actually doesn't affect them at all.

Back in the early days of the odious origins of the jargon word
"notability", back when it was a buzzword on VFD meaning "I haven't
heard of it," people would raise this as one of the spurious arguments
that made no sense on a moment's reflection. Like the one that too
much text would overload the servers, so the okemon articls had to go.

Please don't say this stuff without at least a moment's thought on
whether it actually makes any sense.

- d.