[WikiEN-l] "Permission required" on copyright expired images...

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 03:18:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Durova <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually this isn't a copyright discussion.
>
> http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=581
>
> "To ensure that publication of material from its collections receives due
> acknowledgment and promotion, the Library requires that permission to
> publish is obtained prior to publication."

Right, this is the issue I raised at the start. The library "requires"
permission - but on what basis? If the image is public domain, and
someone else copies it and republishes it - where do they stand? If
it's not copyright infringement, what is it? Contract violation? On
the basis that you used the website and agreed to the library's terms
and conditions, and have now violated them?

Although I suspect what's also happening is the image that we see
there is low quality, and you'd need permission to get a higher
quality, printable version. And they'd never give permission to cc-sa
it.

Steve