[WikiEN-l] Wikimedian image restorations exploited on eBay

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 15:14:05 UTC 2009

So which path would you follow?
1. Eliminate the paper texture during restoration because a textureless
background facilitates physical printout?
2. Convert to vector graphics?
3. Remain in raster grahics and keep the paper texture to preserve the look
and feel of a period document?

All three directions have led to featured pictures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Punch_-_Masculine_beauty_retouched1.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ornamental_Alphabet_-_16th_Century.svg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lincoln_and_Johnsond.jpg

The third option opens its own set of questions: balance the white to "hot
off the presses" new?  Day old?  Five years in the scrapbook?

Historic media editors debate these decisions; there are good arguments for
and against all of them.  And there isn't any absolute solution.  Sometimes
we change our minds.

-Durova

http://durova.blogspot.com/