[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia: the Journal

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 14 09:55:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.wittylama.com/2009/09/wikipedia-journal/

<snip>

> [Note: this proposal is not the same as "WikiJournal" on Meta (the
> purpose of which is to encourage Original Research scholarship) or
> "Wiki Journal" on WikiVersity/Wikia (the purpose of which is to
> publish articles about Wiki-related scholarship).]"

Snipping most of the blog post to highlight the above point. Much of
the subsequent discussion has turned out to be people discussing
WikiJournal, which the blog post explicitly stated this proposal was
*not* about.

i.e. I'm trying to point out to those coming late to this discussion
that it has veered off-topic.

Of course, it *is* a problem when you have something called "Wikipedia
Journal", something else called "WikiJournal", and something else
again called "Wiki Journal". All actually different things (the first
one being only a proposal so far).

Brand identity is the word I'm looking for, I think.

And confusion over brand identity.

Carcharoth