[WikiEN-l] assessing

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 11 13:40:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Surreptitiousness
<surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Mind, it could be an idea to have as standard a message posted to
> relevant WikiProjects when an article is up for FA.

There is already an expectation that this is done, as far as I know.
And when it is not done, someone usually does it and reminds people
that this should have been done.

Hmm. Actually, FAR (featured article review) says this. FAC doesn't
say it (at least not prominently).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_article_review

"Notify relevant parties by adding
{{subst:FARMessage|ArticleName|alt=FAR subpage}} (for example,
{{subst:FARMessage|Superman|alt=Superman/archive1}}) to relevant talk
pages (insert article name). Relevant parties include main
contributors to the article (identifiable through article stats
script), the editor who originally nominated the article for Featured
Article status (identifiable through the Featured Article Candidate
link in the Article Milestones), and any relevant WikiProjects
(identifiable through the talk page banners, but there may be other
Projects that should be notified). The message at the top of the FAR
should indicate who you have notified."

There might actually be a reason for this difference, but it would be
buried in some archive somewhere.

It's quite interesting, actually, looking at "what links here" for the
5 FACs on top of the current list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Wikipedia:Featured_article_candidates/Chadderton/archive1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Wikipedia:Featured_article_candidates/Virginia/archive3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Wikipedia:Featured_article_candidates/Black_Hawk_War/archive1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Wikipedia:Featured_article_candidates/Hermann_Detzner/archive1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Wikipedia:Featured_article_candidates/Rolls-Royce_Merlin/archive1

It seems some FACs get more publicity than others. Which can be both
good (more eyes) and bad (the input gets skewed if the notices are
only of certain groups of editors).

Carcharoth