[WikiEN-l] assessing

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 11 13:17:03 UTC 2009

Charles Matthews wrote:
> Surreptitiousness wrote:
>
> I'd put it this way: the business of "flagged revisions" indicates a
> feeling that (for a physical book) would be that we have a "first
> draft", and should proceed editorially rather than magpie-fashion.

Yeah, that's kind of where I was driving.

> I think Carcharoth's point is also valid:
> that the "working over" of parts of the encyclopedia doesn't happen for
> top-down reason, necessarily. While it is essential for "adding value"
> that it should happen, even if only patchily. This has always implied
> people with a serious interest in the actual content ... doesn't imply
> that the formal review mechanisms should dominate.

Not quite sure I understand you here.  You're talking about stuff
getting reworked, and there is a top down reason that this doesn't
happen?  I think I've lost what the top down reason was. And I'm not
sure how or why we're separating out the formal review mechanisms from
people with a serious interest in the actual content.  Where we're
discussing assessments, it has been my experience that the people
assessing are the people with a serious interest in the content.  There
was a big discussion over this issue with regards A-Class level, because
the people who are most likely to know whether an article is A-Class or
not are generally the people who wrote it, so we were looking for a way
out of that loop, because a number of us had the view that it was
"unfair" to rate an article as A-Class having put in a lot of work on
it. That's why there's a valid case for subsuming A-Class and FA-Class.
The counter argument is that an article can get to FA-Class without
actually being A-Class, where a lone editor takes an article to FA
status and it isn;t reviewed by the Project.  Sometimes we kind of pull
in different directions on Wikipedia, we haven't really found an
effective way of pooling our review processes into one simple process.
Mind, it could be an idea to have as standard a message posted to
relevant WikiProjects when an article is up for FA.