[WikiEN-l] Deletion of unreferenced living person biographies

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 10 12:44:59 UTC 2009

geni wrote:
> 2009/9/10 Surreptitiousness <surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com>:
>
>> Someone else probably caught this, but anything which has been deleted
>> out of process can be restored by any other admin.
>>

> Only obvious out of process deletions. What counts of obvious? Hard to
> say but it would be inadvisable to make the wrong decision.

I seem to have been snipped of the context where I mention that one
should contact the deleting admin.  But it is not inadvisable to make
the wrong decision, we have a whole swathe of guidelines that make that
very point.  It would be inadvisable to escalate the situation if you do
make the wrong decision, but nothing bad is going to happen if you
restore article X, drop admin Y a note saying I restored this because
you deleted as such and I don't agree to the point that I restored it,
and admin Y says, but did you consider this?  At this point, most level
headed admins, (and do we want any other sort), are going to consider
and then either say, well, why didn't you say so in the first place, and
delete the article all over again, or they're going to say, well that
still doesn't justify deletion, so what do you want to do now? I find it
very hard to imagine a situation where it would be inadvisable to make
the wrong decision.  I have even seen the main page deleted and nothing
come of it but good laughs all around. That's because no-one escalated
the situation and everyone adopted a tone of mea culpa.  Compare and
contrast the attempt to delete votes for deletion. What's that old
song... "It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it."