[WikiEN-l] New way to discourage newcomers invented

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 17 10:15:11 UTC 2009

Apoc 2400 wrote:
> Isn't it time to be honest with ourselves and nominate "Wikipedia is not a
> bureaucracy" for deletion?

"Bureaucracy" is a fairly helpful description of how Wikipedia actually
functions, as far as management style is concerned. Decisions are taken
according to practice that has been codified to some extent (in some
areas, to a large extent). If you want to get something done, knowing
where to go and how to apply is at least half the battle. But my reading
of WP:BURO would make the comment "A procedural error made in posting
anything, such as a proposal or nomination, is not grounds for
invalidating that post" central to its intention. I say we don't delete
that.

Charles