[WikiEN-l] Reliable sources for deaths

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 8 00:14:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:52 AM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> For the rather longer term citing interplanetary sources is going to
> be one of the problems an interplanetary wikipedia would face.

You just get the feeling, don't you, that the future sometimes takes
care of itself. Can the way information is handled change so much that
"citing" it becomes irrelevant? Will all information packets contain
within themselves some "provenance", allowing people to verify the
information first-hand? And will the programs used by that far-future
information-gathering and information-querying system spider along the
information trail to verify things for those gathering the
information?

Or will information networks in the future be a contradictory mess?

Imagine citing information in a world where time travel was possible!
Or there were alternate universes! How about citing information passed
between alien species with a totally different concept of information
recording and flow?

Are we fully off-topic for this list yet? :-)

Carcharoth