[WikiEN-l] Reliable sources for deaths

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 23:52:23 UTC 2009

2009/10/7 Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 5:54 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Wylie
>>
>> My source for the death is a tweet.
>>
>> It is a tweet from the official Bletchley Park feed, so I think it's
>> reliable enough ... but I've asked them for more, and a photo if they
>> can :-)
>>
>> Remember: "reliable sources" is a guideline and requires the
>> application of good sense.
>>

>> - d.
>
> Here's what I wonder: how do we apply WP:V to *tweets* in a few decades?
>
> --
> gwern

I doubt the fad will last that long and anything significant will have
been dealt with through other sources. I suspect the challenge in a
few decades will be sources that change a fair bit and don't publicly
change log to to the extent wikipedia does.

Cite:Interactive media has the potential to be interesting

Legally speaking citing stuff that is protected by defunct DRM may be
a future problem.

For the rather longer term citing interplanetary sources is going to
be one of the problems an interplanetary wikipedia would face.

--
geni