[WikiEN-l] So what does Flagged Revs feel like?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Oct 1 17:42:25 UTC 2009

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On 10/1/09, Michael Peel wrote:
>
>> Is there much difference between the way a new (redlink) account is
>>  treated, and an IP account is treated? Perhaps using the former would
>>  give an indication to how the latter is treated? I tend to treat both
>>  as equally suspicious when I spot an edit by them - but I don't tend
>>  to bite.
>>
> Yeah. I just do the "don't bite" bit. Example, I came across this edit recently:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bob_Randall&diff=316461923&oldid=310597871
>
> Ok, now that text doesn't really belong. It's trivia. It's not
> notable. It's even poorly written. But I left it. I couldn't see much
> benefit in hurting some primary school kid's feelings over it. It's
> only *slightly* too trivial, and definitely not in a harmful way.
> Maybe if I come across it in a month or two I'll kill it then...but no
> reason to tread on this kid's toes so quickly.

Good point.  A bit of friendly paternal guidance without a lot of
boilerplate is a good first step.  That might encourage them to do more
in more constructive ways once they understand the underlying concepts.
Some others, whose contributions a harmlessly bad, will tend to get
bored of editing after being here only a shirt while; having the
patience to wait until they have gone away before cleaning up will avoid
a lot of drama.

Ec