[WikiEN-l] [Wikinews-l] Wikipedia's 'In the news'

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue May 26 11:28:28 UTC 2009

> All I am saying is Wikipedia is not a news site. And if we have to have
> a policy on why we are not Wikipedia, then they should have one on why
> they are not Wikinews.
>
> --
> Jason Safoutin
> Wikinews accredited reporter and administrator
> jason.safoutin at wikinewsie.org

Wikipedia needs to do what is good for Wikipedia, and some news coverage
is good for Wikipedia. Detailed original reporting is outside Wikipedia's
mission, as is a sophisticated presentation of the significance of news.
As things happen, information about them is added to the corpus of human
knowledge and thus added to Wikipedia. This includes information on what
was considered news at a particular time. Like its performance in other
areas Wikipedia's treatment of the news is rather pedestrian, simply a
compendium of what is being reported. It is not and is not intended to be
a record of what actually happened at a particular time.

Fred