[WikiEN-l] Docs look to Wikipedia for condition info: Manhattan Research

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Sun May 24 16:20:41 UTC 2009

It's a good guideline - there are few enough instances on Wikipedia where
simple vandalism can lead directly to serious physical harm, and this is
one. Statistics and reported numbers are vandalism targets throughout
Wikipedia every day, and dosage information would be a particularly popular
target. We could put the dosage information in templates, and protect the
templates, but that doesn't allay the range of other problems associated
with including such information. We have to ask ourselves why someone would
use Wikipedia to look up this sort of information - are those needs we want
to fulfill?

It's also important to note that there are many other sources for this sort
of information for medical professionals. Institutional or office
subscriptions to electronic/online references like Micromedex are not
prohibitively expense, there are a number of free or cheap physical
reference books, and I even have a free and comprehensive reference on my
phone.

Nathan