[WikiEN-l] Docs look to Wikipedia for condition info: Manhattan Research

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat May 23 23:56:28 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2009/5/23 Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>:
>
>> http://www.mmm-online.com/Docs-look-to-Wikipedia-for-condition-info-Manhattan-Research/article/131038/
>>
>> http://www.thehealthcareblog.com/the_health_care_blog/2009/05/beyond-wikipedia.html
>>

> "Nearly 50% of US physicians going online for professional purposes
> are visiting Wikipedia for health and medical information, especially
> condition information, according to a Manhattan Research study.

An interesting finding. There's been calls for literally decades now for
greater use of electronic information dissemination in medicine, and one
of the big proposals that's been bandied about but never really
implemented is some sort of widely available database of conditions,
symptoms, treatments, etc. In specific areas there are "best practices"
compenedia, but there's no giant database just summarizing everything,
even the stuff that isn't worked out yet (physicians still need info on
conditions even when they aren't totally well understood yet).

As far as I understand, the main stumbling blocks have been that nobody
can agree on who should make the database, what the process will be for
verifying information, what access policies should be like, who would be
responsible if there were errors in it, what constitutes evidence worth
including, etc., etc. Seems doctors are voting with their feet and
deciding that Wikipedia's attempt at tackling all those is at least
better than nothing.

-Mark