[WikiEN-l] Workflow for music excerpts

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri May 22 01:51:11 UTC 2009

Hi,
  It is the happy circumstance that:
a) Articles about pieces of classical music are much better with an
excerpt of the music presented as an image
b) PDFs of enormous amounts of classical music are available, in
public domain, at the International Music Score Library Project
(imslp.org). For example, Chopin's coverage is virtually
comprehensive.

So the question is, how to get more excerpts into more articles
faster? Can anyone think of a tool (or propose one) that would make
this easier?

Currently, my workflow looks like this:
1) Find an article about a piece of music
2) Check if it wants another excerpt. If not, go back to 1.
3) Go to imslp, search (using their crappy search) for the piece (or
in many cases, just follow a link from the wikipedia article).
4) Choose one of the scores, click it
5) Verify that it's suitable, is the right piece etc.
6) Screenshot a piece of it using Snagit, save image as PNG.
7) Go to commons.wikimedia.org
8) Click upload
9) Fill in the form. This bit is complicated because there are so many
"authors"/sources: chopin, the publisher, the user at imslp that
uploaded/scanned it, imslp, me.... And choosing a name is always
annoying...let alone categories.
10) Upload.
11) Back at the article page, click "edit"
12) Add a [[Image:...]] tag with some creative text.
13) Preview
14) Save

It's pretty frickin' tedious. Here's one I did earlier:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturnes_Op._27_(Chopin)

It would be nicer, at least, if one could upload the entire thing,
then on the article page do a crop to the excerpt - rather than having
to crop it locally.

Any ideas anyone? Magnus's FIST was great, dealing with the much
harder problem of trying to identify any images anywhere vaguely
related to the article. Here, we know exactly what image we want, and
we know where to get it.

Steve