[WikiEN-l] (Active Voice) Where went the man?

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Thu May 21 16:50:52 UTC 2009

"Thomas Dalton" <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:a4359dff0905210711m79740eb0k597998ce64daa1bb at mail.gmail.com...
> 2009/5/21 Jay Litwyn <brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>:
>> "Eugene van der Pijll" <eugene at vanderpijll.nl> wrote in message
>> news:20090521074620.GA594 at alva.mail.gmail.com...
>>>
>>> Your point is unclear. If you think [[Politics and the English
>>> Language]] needs a better intro, take it to that talk page.
>>
>> If it were a standard essay, rather than an explanation of the difference
>> between active and passive voice,
>> then it would hav a point that was not trying to be cute in leading to a
>> tagline. I am disallowed from talk pages and e-mail. The admin who
>> started
>> the process against me egzajerated his claims against me, did not finish
>> the
>> process or contribute to my claims against him, and he did indicate
>> frustration with my communications, so I desisted communication with him.
>>
>> All I might do is link point four to the wikipedia guideline on active
>> voice. The definition of <a
>> href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_passive_voice"> passive
>> voice</a>
>> needs work. I see no way to make the declaration of independence into
>> active
>> voice, and that was not done in the article, either, so I do not think it
>> is
>> a good example. If it can be activated, then it should be done to show
>> the
>> antonym, active voice. If not, then someone should find a better example.
>
> I don't see how a discussion of the active and passive voice is within
> the scope of the mailing list. If you have problems with a block on
> the English Wikipedia and wish to complain about an admin and cannot
> contact anyone to help you then email ArbCom on
> arbcom-l at lists.wikimedia.org and they will review the case.

This list is about the nature of wikipedia, and perhaps whether it should
hav style guidelines, which it does. I know "white cat", to begin with,
chafes at having such rules. I don't, so I am promoting one of them. I hope
you will understand that in the condition of my account, as it stands now,
regardless of how ArbCom will respond to my submission three months ago,
this is my sole avenue for suggesting changes, including any comments that
would fit better on talk pages.