[WikiEN-l] NPOV and how to find and maintain it

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun May 10 14:34:50 UTC 2009

It's time that I pipe up on this.

Under the subject header, Re: [WikiEN-l] Neutrality enforcement: a proposal
At 06:30 PM 5/8/2009, Sam Korn wrote:
>On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 11:24 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>[...] Even though a core of opinionated-though-neutral editors
> > accumulates, there's an eternal stream of people who don't know and
> > don't care about NPOV or Wikipedia principles in general - as far as
> > they're concerned, someone is being WRONG on the Internet.
>
>Indeed.  The solution to Israel-Palestine disputes on Wikipedia is
>that there be some lasting resolution to the meatspace
>Israel-Palestine conflict.  Sadly, I think that is beyond the
>capabilities of even our esteemed Arbitration Committee.

Actually, no, though it's the community that can help, and the
Committee can only have some influence. There is no way for the
Committee, as far as I can see, to enforce what is needed, but it
could recognize it and encourage it and discriminate between
disruption that maintains lack of consensus and disruption that
increases consensus.

The key to understanding this is, first of all, that NPOV isn't a
thing, a fixed state, a property of text in itself, it is a balance
that represents consensus.

We can measure NPOV by the percentage of editors who agree with a
text, and our goal should always be 100%. While we may, in
controversial areas, never be able to reach 100%, we should always
maintain some level of skepticism that text is truly neutral if there
is even a single dissent from a responsible editor. We may have
overlooked something, and, if that editor can find *any* support from
other responsible editors, we should, as a community (which may
require only one of us initially), examine the reasons for dissent
and see if it is possible to address them and either convince the
dissenting editors to support the text or, if we become convinced
that the text can be improved to broaden consensus, implement that change.

I have written a draft essay that examines this, and a process that
could be followed, at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Abd/NPOV_and_how_to_find_it

Comments, here or on the essay Talk page are invited. The draft at
this point is written from a personal POV, but my intention is to
edit that out and to leave a citation behind to the original essay
from history, so edits to the essay to improve it and make it general
and not personal are also invited. TIA.