[WikiEN-l] Rod Liddle, Spectator, on his Wikipedia article

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed May 6 17:18:27 UTC 2009

Update on the farrago. Apparently they printed my letter in the 25 April
edition of The Spectator.

Liddle responds:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/the-week/3573521/part_2/letters.thtml

Spectator readers respond to recent articles

I did foul Ronaldo

Sir: Let me assure Charles Matthews (Letters, 25 April) that I most
certainly vandalised Cristiano Ronaldo’s Wikipedia page — on not one but
two occasions. This would suggest that the site’s ‘history’ section is
every bit as inaccurate as every other part of Wikipedia. It’s fun, but
most people would be advised to trust it about as far as they would a
press statement from Derek Draper.

Rod Liddle
Marlborough, Wiltshire

My comment (placed onsite, may not get past moderation):

Rod, you don't convince. What you wrote can be checked. Article
histories log all edits: it's a database, that's what the software does,
no inaccuracies. Ask someone under 30. The odd thing is that journos
wishing to convince the gullible that "the Internet" has intrinsic "low
standards" tend to fall into this trap of making confident, wild claims
(cf. Giles Hattersley of The Sunday Times); if you don't actually
understand the medium yet, try not writing about it. Adopting perceived
lazy standards as your own, where convenient, used to be called "going
native", in the old days.

Charles