[WikiEN-l] Microsoft kills Encarta

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 30 22:34:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 8:39 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> [spotted by Mathias Schindler]
>

> http://encarta.msn.com/guide_page_FAQ/FAQ.html
>
> Important Notice: MSN Encarta to be Discontinued
> On October 31, 2009, MSN® Encarta® Web sites worldwide will be
> discontinued, with the exception of Encarta Japan, which will be
> discontinued on December 31, 2009. Additionally, Microsoft will cease
> to sell Microsoft Student and Encarta Premium software products
> worldwide by June 2009. We understand that Encarta users may have
> questions regarding this announcement so we have prepared this list of
> questions and answers below. Please keep reading if you would like
> more information about these changes to Encarta.

"Encarta has been a popular product around the world for many years.
However, the category of traditional encyclopedias and reference
material has changed. People today seek and consume information in
considerably different ways than in years past."

I wonder what different ways they could be talking about? :-)

"we believe that we can use what we’ve learned and assets we’ve
accrued with offerings like Encarta to develop future technology
solutions"

So they might try making a comeback in another form?

I liked Encarta - it was the first real encyclopedia I used. So I feel
a bit torn here.

Carcharoth