[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia isn't just a good idea - it's compulsory

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 27 19:28:41 UTC 2009

Sam Korn wrote:
> Furthermore, there is the potential that teaching students to question
> Wikipedia could lead to their being more disposed to question other
> sources, which is obviously very useful in the study of any subject
> (and supremely history).

Possibly more broadly. I was looking around for references to a rather
'retro' teaching method for history, and found this:

"The significance of ephemera for the teaching of history in schools has
already
been demonstrated. In particular, Longman’s ‘Jackdaw’ series from the 1960s,
and more recently the ephemera collections sold by the Public Record Office,
have shown how effective reproductions of ephemeral documents of the
past can
be as part of a teaching pack. The educational potential of ephemera at
all stages
of education has increased beyond measure in recent years with the
widespread
availability of electronic methods of delivering images."