[WikiEN-l] community hierararchy of the Wikipedia graph

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri Mar 20 09:08:28 UTC 2009

"Dmitry Lizorkin" <lizorkin at ispras.ru> wrote in message
news:11d001c9a17a$c1f4ae90$4cc69553 at fiona...
> Hello!
>
> We recently studied the properties of the English Wikipedia graph and
> observed that:
> (1) the graph consists of dense subgraphs (socalled "graph communities")
> that are in turn less densely connected to each other;
> (2) Wikipedia articles falling into the same community exhibit more
> semantic similarity to each other than randomly selected articles.
>
> Encouraged by the above observations, i computed the community hierarchy
> for
> the English Wikipedia:
> http://modis.ispras.ru/wikipedia/
> The hierarchy shows the grouping of similar Wikipedia articles into
> communities, based on purely Wikipedia link information, and reflects the
> link structure of the Wikipedia graph.
>
> In your opinion, could such data organization be helpful for navigation
> and
> finding related information in Wikipedia?
>
> Your feedback is welcome!
> Dmitry

I was thinking that Roget (Rohzhay), whose work I hav seen for free, could
do a lot to help with category sujestions. His "jeneral categories of words,
then smaller categories, and then synonyms with antonyms" was an immense and
long-winded stroke of organization. It needed an index at the back for the
word you could think of. I did not like revisions I found in 1998. I liked
the one I had in 1987.
_______
http://tinyurl.com/BlakDog (Revised today. One pause had to be longer)