[WikiEN-l] The sharpest criticism of a protein-only or genetics hypothesis regarding [[prion]]

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at edmc.net
Tue Mar 10 14:57:06 UTC 2009

Someone objected to the new section on jenetiks being stricken with the
conclusion that genetics is the cause. I moved to strike it, because it was
confusing. In other words, it does not make the conclusion that genetics is
the cause, nor does it support anything it does say, so I would delete the
section to over-rule an objection.

I was looking for a citation, because a magazine or something does not
archive editorials. It turns out that Gajdusek did not like it when
Prussiner introduced the word "prion" into English. If I had been looking
for "Scrapie", then I might hav found it. It belongs in a subsection in the
section about debate. If Prussiner can be credited with anything other than
a Nobel prize, it is that his hypothesis tested the dominant theory that
life requires both D.N.A. and protein to reproduce.

In a sympathetic jesture, jenetiks does hav things to say about Protease
Resistant Protein, so I would give genetics the last word in the debate.

"Agent of [[:category:amyloidosis]] survives temperatures that destroy
protein and [[DNA]]"
<ref name="pmid10716712">{{cite journal
|author=Brown P, Rau EH, Johnson BK, Bacote AE, Gibbs CJ, Gajdusek DC
|title=New studies on the heat resistance of hamster-adapted scrapie agent:
threshold survival after ashing at 600 degrees C suggests an inorganic
template of replication
|journal=[[Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.]]
|volume=97
|issue=7
|pages=3418-21
|year=2000