[WikiEN-l] [[gossip protocol]] The Role of Experts In Wikipedia

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at edmc.net
Thu Mar 19 03:05:18 UTC 2009

Maybe someone should write a typical history of which policies new users
tread on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Ken_Birman
That guy is an expert, because he actually wrote software, and he is a
professor at Cornell.
[[gossip protocol]] and [[virtual synchrony]] are his pet projects. I found
gossip protocol to be something like Artificial Neural Networks in 1990.
Everyone was talking about them. Everyone had different ideas on what it
means. (Still do). (Artificial Logic Networks) ALN's are a close cousin to
ANN's. If you look on the history of his talk page, then you will see that
it has shaped up more like a blog, which is at one point I could not find a
welcome notice of any kind on his talk page, then there was some critique
from KPBotany. Since I could not find a welcome notice, I put one up. That
stuff ain't there, so maybe he was following my lead about how to maintain a
talk page. I also told him about my {{prod}} for deleting [[gossip
protocol]], saying at one point that he had a defender.

I was not happy with what little that defender would learn from [[gossip
protocol]], because it seemed to be ultimate -- optimal in one case and
understandably short of optimal in practice. So, I went to work, trying to
understand the math behind potentials, and lo and behold I found I had
already written! evidence of "optimal" (exponential propagation) and "worst
case" (everyone talking at once, which yields "in proportion to number of
participants"). I needed a monographic example. I think Ken has decided to
stay out of [[gossip protocol]], as long as it does not get deleted. I do
not think he will decide to write my monographs into what is mostly his
work.

Tthe role of experts IN wikipedia is to learn from experts ON wikipedia.
{{subst:uw-notcensored1}}
Coulda fooled me, and I do not feel like arguing on either side.