[WikiEN-l] History started in 1995

Michael Bimmler mbimmler at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 21:17:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:31 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Interlibrary loans at your university (or public library) are not free
> at all. They are just free for *you*, because your university picks up
> the tab for you. The average cost of an item borrowed through ILL at a
> typical mid-size university is between $20-$30 per item. (google:
> "average cost interlibrary loan", find lots of studies to this
> effect). This, however, is part of the cost of doing research.

That's interesting...mind telling my resident University of Zurich
librarians that bit, should you ever meet them at a conference?
I currently get charged (and yes, the figures are the same nevermind
whether I use it as member of the public or as enrolled student or as
faculty member)

7 Swiss francs for books from other libraries in the
German-part-of-Switzerland university libraries network
10 Swiss francs for books from the rest of Switzerland
20 Swiss francs for books from Europe minus Great Britain
35 Swiss francs for books from Great Britain
45 Swiss francs for books from the United States
"depending on how much it actually cost *us* " for books from all the
other countries

Would love to hear some more experiences on this: Is it common in the
US / UK for academic libraries not to charge at all for ILLs? Then I'm
ever so slightly envious...

Michael
--
Michael Bimmler