[WikiEN-l] News agencies are not RSs

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 14:40:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM, geni<geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/29 Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>:
>> “We were really helped by the fact that it hadn’t appeared in a place
>> we would regard as a reliable source,” he said. “I would have had a
>> really hard time with it if it had.”"
>
> The question is though is is
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pajhwok_Afghan_News genuinely not a
> reliable source?

Even if we think *they* were not a RS (which of course they are),
there were still other sources:

"Word came close to leaking widely last month when Rohde won his
second Pulitzer Prize, as part of the Times team effort for coverage
of Afghanistan and Pakistan. The Italian news agency Adnkronos
International did spill the beans, reportedly spurring a number of
blogs into action."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25673247-2703,00.html

--
gwern