[WikiEN-l] RFC on paid editing

AGK wikiagk at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 10 10:44:02 UTC 2009

In principle, I welcome editors who create or expand an article for payment
(inasmuch as their editing complies with the project's guidelines).
In practice, however, it would be exceedingly rare for that type of editing
to not be problematic to some degree; the nature of the business world is
such that paid editing would almost certainly not adhere to Wikipedia's NPOV
policies. Consider this: if a client commissions a Wikipedia article's
creation, would the client be satisfied with an article that did not reflect
a stance that was at least a smidgen flattering? I wouldn't imagine so. On
that basis, I think a blanket discouragement from editing for payment to be
the most sensible approach to the issue.

AGK