[WikiEN-l] A new solution for the BLP dilemma

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Thu Jun 4 23:40:07 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Durova <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com>
To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
Sent: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 4:33 pm
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] A new solution for the BLP dilemma

Mirrors don't get such high search rank as Wikipedia.  Most people who
search Google never look past the first 10 entries (if they even scroll
down
to number 10, which many don't).

Noindexing is a distinct advantage in situations such as job searches or
business contract bids where one competitor might stoop to tactically
damaging another candidate's biography.  Yes, the information remains
available, but deliberate misinformation doesn't shoot to the top
position
instantly.>>

If you noindex, then Wikipedia's entry doesn't appear at all.  Some of
our mirrors do have relatively high rankings, appearing on the first
page.  This is especially true of the more comprehensive, but obscure
entries.  Such as you might find say, with a University professor or
second-tier author.  We write up a full biography, noindex it, and our
mirrors end up on the first page of Google hits.

I fail to see the actual damage caused.  Competitors already try to
damage each other, if bids are based on Wikipedia entries, then it's
doubtful that the businesses are really doing any sort of due diligence
in the first place.  All businesses have complaints lodged against
them.  If you don't have at least a few detractors, then you must have
just started.

I'd like to see some concrete examples of real damage, before such a
sweeping modification is instituted.

Will Johnson