[WikiEN-l] How wikipedia could link into File Protection.

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Wed Jul 29 12:04:01 UTC 2009

It is an old idea that ran on IBM 370s in 1990. On them, what I am
describing is child's play. On them I could also give you permission to read
a file, and only with a certain program. "run only" for example was so
common that it had an abreviation: "permit bugs run unsp:disasm" (permit
user:bugs to run disasm as written in the filespace of user:unsp)-- and
different permission for any user who asked. That means I can't debug it, I
can't read it, and I certainly can't write it. Michigan Terminal System was
so cheap with file space in those days, that I could not even expand it --
writing a file and expanding it were different things. Today, a gigabyte is
quite a bit less than a dollar. Back then, you could not get drives that
big. Even though the system had a few terabytes of disk space, it was
composed of *many* drives. Old idea. What wikipedia would need for using it
is already a part of the file system that it runs on. I am trying to give it
new wings.

My impression of file ownership on wikipedia is that the more effort you put
into it, and how long, is the main predictor of much you do not feel like
giving up on it -- no matter what the policy on ownership...well, inevitably
there are articles out there superior to wikipedia because an author did
take a point of view, and it happens to be more correct than anything you
could find in the middle. Hey. You know what. I do not think policy changed
when the permission controls were added, so that file in someone else's
space for which everyone had unlimited access could've been bait.
_______
Does a Cheshire cat drink evaporated milk?

news:e71d9fab0907221039vacb4be9g410afec43ab6c144 at mail.gmail.com...