[WikiEN-l] If anyone ever says Wikipedia is too deletionist

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 27 12:25:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Sarah Ewart<sarahewart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Dan Dascalescu <
> ddascalescu+wikipedia at gmail.com <ddascalescu%2Bwikipedia at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 06:23, <elipongo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> This is similar to the whole "fair use" brouhaha at
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Madeleine_close2.jpg#Licence (the
>> photo of Madeleine McCann, a child who's been missing for 2 years) -
>> as if Madeleine's family wouldn't wholeheartedly agree to that picture
>> being plastered on every website in the world.

I can think of several websites they wouldn't want it plastered on.

> I'm sure thats correct and it also makes it easy to resolve - get
> permission.  I think they're fairly accessible through their website, so an
> editor could simply email them, explain what's needed and ask them to
> release an image under a compatible license or to provide one that's already
> been released under a free license. These types of disputes are usually
> easier and quicker to actually resolve than it is to complain and argue
> about it.

And when someone uses the image in an inappropriate fashion (I know
they can do that anyway, without it being on Commons), what then? At a
minimum, this image should have the various warnings heavily plastered
on it (personality rights or whatever the equivalent is for a missing
child), and it should be used with decorum in Wikipedia itself. There
are some articles some editors would put it on without realising what
offence it might cause.

Carcharoth