[WikiEN-l] If anyone ever says Wikipedia is too deletionist

Sarah Ewart sarahewart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 11:45:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Dan Dascalescu <
ddascalescu+wikipedia at gmail.com <ddascalescu%2Bwikipedia at gmail.com>> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 06:23, <elipongo at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> This is similar to the whole "fair use" brouhaha at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Madeleine_close2.jpg#Licence (the
> photo of Madeleine McCann, a child who's been missing for 2 years) -
> as if Madeleine's family wouldn't wholeheartedly agree to that picture
> being plastered on every website in the world.

I'm sure thats correct and it also makes it easy to resolve - get
permission.  I think they're fairly accessible through their website, so an
editor could simply email them, explain what's needed and ask them to
release an image under a compatible license or to provide one that's already
been released under a free license. These types of disputes are usually
easier and quicker to actually resolve than it is to complain and argue
about it.