[WikiEN-l] If anyone ever says Wikipedia is too deletionist

Dan Dascalescu ddascalescu+wikipedia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 06:35:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 06:23, <elipongo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would he, his heirs, or his estate object if the photo of the poem was modified to be used in a fast-food ad or for a hate group?

What does this have to do with the poem being engraved verbatim in a
public monument?

> And while en.wiki does allow fair use, having the entirety of the poem is likely
> a stretch of our policies - so it should be removed from the article too.

If anyone needed more proof that Wikipedia is too deletionist, here it is.

The damn poem was intended to be distributed as far and wide as possible.

This is similar to the whole "fair use" brouhaha at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Madeleine_close2.jpg#Licence (the
photo of Madeleine McCann, a child who's been missing for 2 years) -
as if Madeleine's family wouldn't wholeheartedly agree to that picture
being plastered on every website in the world.