[WikiEN-l] The Nature of "Facts"

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jul 27 04:21:05 UTC 2009

David Gerard wrote:
> 2009/7/25 Apoc 2400 <apoc2400 at gmail.com>:
>
>> This is not published by the "real" Merriam–Webster, but Icon Group
>> International. That is company that computer generate enourmous numbers of
>> useless books that fill up Google Books. These "Webster’s Quotations, Facts
>> and Phrases" books that are made from excerpts of Wikipedia articles are
>> especially annoying, as people who don't check their sources properly create
>> circular references. I search for these occasionally and remove them from
>> articles.
>>
> The problem is that "Webster" isnt a trademark - it's become
> genericised. See [[Webster's Dictionary]].
>
> As you note, there's all manner of works, some high-quality and some
> not so high, published by all sorts of companies. Editors need to pay
> particular attention ...
>
> Merriam-Webster is in fact the genuine Noah Webster-descended company.

I don't think that I would agree with that last statement.  There were
numerous cases over the use of the name "Webster" in the late 19th
century leading to the generic status.  "Merriam-Webster" is a trademark
in its own right, but that does not substantiate a unique descendance
from Noah Webster

Ec.