[WikiEN-l] The Nature of "Facts"

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 11:58:06 UTC 2009

2009/7/25 Apoc 2400 <apoc2400 at gmail.com>:

> This is not published by the "real" Merriam–Webster, but Icon Group
> International. That is company that computer generate enourmous numbers of
> useless books that fill up Google Books. These "Webster’s Quotations, Facts
> and Phrases" books that are made from excerpts of Wikipedia articles are
> especially annoying, as people who don't check their sources properly create
> circular references. I search for these occasionally and remove them from
> articles.

The problem is that "Webster" isnt a trademark - it's become
genericised. See [[Webster's Dictionary]].

As you note, there's all manner of works, some high-quality and some
not so high, published by all sorts of companies. Editors need to pay
particular attention ...

Merriam-Webster is in fact the genuine Noah Webster-descended company.

- d.