[WikiEN-l] At last, a new stats run for en:wp!

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Mon Jul 20 12:09:40 UTC 2009

> In another thread, Will Johnson (I think) argued that activity levels
> (new articles, in particular) would continue to decline rapidly in the
> next few years and that by Christmas we would have fewer than 1000 new
> articles per day.  Looking at the new stats, I'm more confident that
> en-wiki can maintain a steady state of activity something close to the
> present level (especially as the usability efforts begin to make it
> easier for newbies to edit, after years of increasingly complex markup
> that did the opposite).

Perhaps rather than counting new articles, we should be looking at
the amount of text added to articles? As I understand it, there's a
bit of a shift going on from creating new articles to improving
existing ones, and that seems like a reasonable metric to measure
that from (especially if only article text, rather than templates,
was counted). Of course, it's also a lot harder to calculate...

Mike