[WikiEN-l] At last, a new stats run for en:wp!

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 18 19:12:06 UTC 2009

Sage Ross wrote:
> To me, the data is really encouraging.  Take a look at the charts for
> New Wikipedians vs. Active Wikipedians.  We knew before that both of
> those peaked in early 2007.  But now it seems that the decline has
> more or less stabilized, and the decline in active Wikipedians was
> less severe than new Wikipedians.  Edits per month, and maybe new
> articles per month, look to be stabilizing as well.

This also was my first impression: the last 12 months have not been so
bad at all. I'd like to be able to combine this with a continuing
thought of mine: WP's model is beginning to "bite", in the sense that
it has not proved really problematic to bring new areas of content
along, and there has also been progress in upgrading lower-quality
existing articles. I think both points are still somewhat debatable; but
if both of these are granted in a general sense (dodging say round BLP
and a few vexed areas where edit wars are still typical) there is scope
for optimism.

Charles