No subject

Thu Jul 16 06:53:57 UTC 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daguerreotype

[That's one of the better 'start' articles I've seen, for those
discussing article assessment accuracies.]

"The daguerreotype is a negative image, but the mirrored surface of
the metal plate reflects the image and makes it appear positive in the
proper light. Thus, daguerreotype is a direct photographic process
without the capacity for duplication." (this is repeated later in the
article in different words: "lack of a negative image from which
multiple positive "prints" could be made")

"The image produced by this method is extremely fragile and
susceptible to damage when handled improperly. Practically all
daguerreotypes are protected from accidental damage by a glass-fronted
case."

"The best-preserved daguerreotypes dating from the nineteenth century
are sealed in robust glass cases evacuated of air and filled with a
chemically inert gas, typically nitrogen."

That would make slavish reproductions quite difficult.

There is a nice bit here as well, about patents versus 'free' invention:

"Instead of Daguerre obtaining a French patent, the French government
provided a pension for him[2]. In Britain, Miles Berry, acting on
Daguerre's behalf, obtained a patent for the daguerreotype process on
August 14, 1839. Almost simultaneously, on August 19, 1839, the French
government announced the invention as a gift "Free to the World.""

Quite ironic, really, considering how long the technology lasted
before being replaced by other methods (mainly the ambrotype in the
late 1850s, about 10 or so years later). The main reason, it seems,
being mercury poisoning.

"Unlike film and paper photography however, a properly sealed
daguerreotype can potentially last indefinitely."

In the copyright situation today, and with the advent of the internet,
what challenges face legislators comparing transient media with those
that can potentially "last indefinitely"?

Carcharoth