[WikiEN-l] News suppression: Did it use Oversight or RevisionDelete?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 13:52:44 UTC 2009

2009/7/18 Luna <lunasantin at gmail.com>:

> Obviously I can't speak to specifics, but especially when talking with
> people outside the usual Wikipedia sphere, it's all too easy to get vague
> about terms. Take deletion as an example: if something's "deleted", was the
> text deleted from the current revision, was the revision itself deleted (or
> perhaps oversighted), or was the article as a whole deleted by an admin? Any
> of those are potentially valid uses of the word, so it's hard to be specific
> unless someone is aware of and considering those various meanings.

Our internal jargon is *not English*, it just uses English words. This
is important to keep in mind when analysing what a newspaper article
about Wikipedia means. Even in the NYT, which is very clueful about
Wikipedia as media go, I am pleased when they get anything right
rather than upset when they get anything wrong.

- d.