[WikiEN-l] News suppression: Did it use Oversight or RevisionDelete?

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 12:12:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 6:08 AM, Joseph Reagle <reagle at mit.edu> wrote:

> I even said this to the NYT reporter when I spoke to him and he implied
> that this information had been suppressed...

Obviously I can't speak to specifics, but especially when talking with
people outside the usual Wikipedia sphere, it's all too easy to get vague
about terms. Take deletion as an example: if something's "deleted", was the
text deleted from the current revision, was the revision itself deleted (or
perhaps oversighted), or was the article as a whole deleted by an admin? Any
of those are potentially valid uses of the word, so it's hard to be specific
unless someone is aware of and considering those various meanings.

That's just a guess, though.

-Luna