[WikiEN-l] Featured churn

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 14:58:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 5:26 AM, Carcharoth<carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:

> There are long-term stats somewhere, and they could be updated if you
> asked. I suggest identifying which of the featured areas you want to
> see long-term stats for, and asking at the relevant talk pages. An
> approximation to these stats could be obtained by going through the
> Signpost summaries.

If you don't need week-by-week stats, then the best place is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_article_statistics

The total number of featured articles has been rising fairly steadily,
but the ratio of featured articles to total articles (a little under
0.1%) has remained more or less steady over the years.

In contrast, the percentage of articles that are Good Articles has
been rising for some time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Good_article_statistics

I think the main reason why this week stands out is the unusually low
number of FA promotions; sometimes the process hits a lull, and
sometimes a bunch of pending promotions don't get processed until
after the Signpost reports its numbers, which can make the
week-to-week numbers a fun tea leaf reading exercise but they don't
necessarily mean much.

-Sage (User:Ragesoss)